Tuesday, January 18, 2011

50 Questions Meme, Part 2

Part two of the 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind, because it's late, I can't sleep, and I needed a break between episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Unfortunately... that's probably true. I talk a big talk, and I talk a lot. I have an opinion on more things than I could ever realistically hope to change or influence.

But is that such a terrible thing? The way the question is worded, it feels loaded. Like, words are cheap and actions are the real measure of a life well lived. But what if my words, as ranted in car rides as they may be, change someone's mind? And what if they do something because of it?

Words get a a bum rap, but they are powerful things. And I have a lot of them.



5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?

On a serious note? I wish that people would treat others more like neighbors and less like enemies. People default to being afraid of things and people that are new and strange and unfamiliar and far away and foreign and I think that not all but a good portion of problems could be headed off if 'neighbor' was the default position.

On a lighter note? I wish we'd already invented transporter technology. The eight-hour transatlantic flight to get home is a bear! Seriously, how awesome would it be just to pop onto the transporter pad, beam me up Scotty, and bam! You're in the States. Bam! You're in St Andrews! Bam, Shanghai! Bam, Cape Town! That would be awesome.



6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

I'd sing and dance and act, like those kids on Glee. If I wasn't already living for the next year in the UK, I'd have made my way down to Texas to try out for The Glee Project. It's a quote I saw milling around the internet, but it's totally true for me -- I'm like Tinkerbell, I need applause to live. I like to be noticed, I love applause, and I love to sing and be someone else. I'd be on television or on stage and people would notice. Unfortunately, for a long time I was both unable to audition for things because of the nature of the job I had at the time, and scared to at the same time. I had success before, but what if I didn't anymore? What if I was faced with the cold, hard truth that I wasn't good enough? That I was a chorus girl and not a star... or not even a chorus girl? I've been scared of finding out the answer to that question.

The happiest times of my life have been on stage. I'd love to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment