Friday, May 27, 2011

Dim the Lights

I've desperately missed having a television. I hadn't realized how often I turned it on for background while cooking or puttering around until I didn't have one anymore. Unfortunately, my limited bank account didn't offer up the funds for both a new television and the tv license here (seriously, I still don't understand why I have to purchase a license in addition to the tv here just to watch...).

Which means, I have to stream it. Or find more creative ways of getting my television that only involves me and my laptop. Or a friend's laptop, if there are more than one of us since I have a small screen on mine.


The poor grad student's home theatre.


Luckily, the internet provides options not just for shows where I am (how much do I love Doctor Who? I'm still hoping to walk down the street and find a TARDIS chilling somewhere) but also for shows I miss at home. Such as Justified, which my friend Sarah and I make an event out of.

Well, as much of an event as you can make out of such an... impressive... home theatre system...

8 comments:

  1. ever since i discovered online streaming i never opened up my tv anymore :)) once it was broken for a whole year and i didnt mind getting if fix....

    i only open it when im playing wii...

    lol,

    xx,
    toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Toni Rose: Apparently in the UK you have to pay a tv license fee every year in order to watch live tv. If you don't pay it and you're found out, they can slap you with a fine, blah blah blah. At the time it wasn't worth it to me to buy a tv and that fee but I kind of wish I'd done it now. My guess is that those fees pay for things like the BBC, but I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you pay cable?

    THEN WHATS THE LICENSE FOR. lol

    no wonder UK is such a rich country :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. and how can you watch tv with a license, therefore TV people shouldn't give out TV privileges if the consumer doesn't have a license!

    more like, buying guns. If you dont have a license, we wont sell you one... lol ...


    it really amaze me discovering new things about various cultures :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. this issue of yours has made me realized that although i'm staying in my own home here in my country, i don't watch the television at all. i even stream my favourite shows on my laptop because i can watch them at my convenience and time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful poѕt however I ωas ωanting to know if
    you coulԁ write a lіtte morе on this subϳect?
    I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

    My web site ... Americas Cardroom Poker Offer :: ::

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey theгe! I've been reading your weblog for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the good job!

    Feel free to visit my blog; Learn Us []

    ReplyDelete