Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When in Doubt, Add Butter. And Bacon.

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.
~John Gunther


I'm not a breakfast person.

I take that back -- I love breakfast, but I am a confirmed night owl and I just am rarely up early enough to make a difference between breakfast and lunch. And I'm not usually hungry right after I wake up, so maximizing sleep before rushing out the door to work when I was working make breakfast near an impossibility.

But today, today I celebrate. For the past few weeks, I've had the darnedest time sleeping. When I get stressed, sleep eludes me, and then I'm up in the middle of the night and it's so quiet and calm, it's a shame to waste that island of calm in the middle of the storm with sleep, so everything gets off kilter and I feel even worse. And I don't get hungry. So sleep and hunger goes... not a sustainable method of living, huh?

But last night, I slept. 7.5 hours of blissful sleep -- while it was dark. At a normal sleep time. Of course, that means I woke up at 6:30 this morning, which oy, who's up at 6:30? My flatmate, but I digress. On the other hand, we have such thin walls, and she has such a pleasant alarm...

But I was up after sleeping and I decided -- I want breakfast. But not cold cereal and milk 'borrowed' from my flatmates. No, I want breakfast.



I want eggs cooked in real butter. I want bacon cooked to crispy -- or as close as I can get to crispy with the thicker cut bacon here. Seriously, streaky bacon is close to American bacon, but still cut too thick. And I want grits, that lovely taste of home. A croissant to mop up the runny egg and a delivery system for more butter.

Oh, and tea with a splash of milk. Hey, I'm in the UK -- I've developed a few British habits after all.

3 comments:

  1. nice! my days are always nicer when I begin with an easygoing morning that includes breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh-oh. i just posted a long comment and i dont know if it got published or under moderation :((

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh darn, so it disappeared.. anyway

    I totally know how you feel about not eating as soon as you wake up.. even if I wake up at noon already... lol

    except when I'm on a friends place, eating at somebody's house just always seems more appetizing..

    totally can relate with being a night owl too... seems like college had turn the younger generation into like vampires.. even when I graduated i still sleep late and wake up early....

    ugh.. bad habit..
    anyway goodluck with graduate studies!


    I used to go to gradschool too... but then didnt have enought motivation to continue it anymore :)) maybe later this year ill come back

    xx,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete