Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

One of the banes of my existence has been the lack of good Mexican food here in St Andrews. And I feel like I can use that to speak for the UK in general. If you want Indian, the UK is great. Apparently Mexico is too far away (and what with it never being colonized by the Brits) to get good (or even adequate) Mexican food here.

But, with it being Cinco de Mayo, the most American of Mexican holidays, many of us here take it upon ourselves to do the best we can and recreate the flavors so many of us Americans are craving.

It's funny what you miss when you're half way around the world, isn't it?


Sarah and Kate making food. Mmm, homemade guacamole...


Guacamole, nachos, shrimp, black beans that were finishing up on the stove so not in the picture, and the always classic Cinco de Mayo staple -- Corona. The classiest of beers.


The bright idea to make churros. It's apparently a three person job to fill the ziploc aka piping bag.


They didn't come out quite churro shaped... but still tasty.


I could've eaten an entire bowl of Kate's guacamole. Seriously, just give me a spoon and I'd be set.

Actually, maybe I should just make that for dinner tomorrow night. No shame in doing that if no one's watching, right?

1 comment:

  1. DEAR GOD, I miss Mexican food!!! Yummm, I could easily devour an entire bowl of guacamole too, especially with tortilla chips!

    ReplyDelete