Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Black Isle Brewery

On our way back from Gairloch last weekend, we decided that it would be fun to stop by one of the breweries on the way home to take a tour. And why not -- never been to a brewery before. So we stopped by Black Isle Brewery just outside of Inverness for a bit of drinking and learning.

Of course we pick the one day where they aren't actually giving tours.

So everyone else is tasting some of the goods -- me, I don't particularly like beer. So I'm happy just to enjoy the time out of the van on our way home.

But as we get ready to leave, the owner comes out going 'Are you guys from St Andrews?'

Why yes, we are indeed university students there. How can we help you, Mr Owner?

Turns out that they want to expand into St Andrews and would love suggestions on pubs we enjoy that may be a good market for them. We'd get free beer in exchange for the suggestions.

University students + free = why, of course.

So, I ended up with a free bottle just for offering town information.




And you know what? For someone who really isn't a beer fan (at all), it wasn't that bad. Totally split it when I got home, because lord knows I couldn't drink it all myself, but what I had wasn't bad. Light. Organic. Good with pizza.

I do vote distillery next time, though.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm with you on not being a huge fan of beer. I do like to peruse local breweries in the towns I visit, and I usually like some of the lighter or flavored beers. Glad you had such a cool experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do enjoy Budlight, but I'm not a huge fan of experimental beers with different tastes so I'm not sure how much I'd like it! Looks like you had fun though :)

    ReplyDelete