Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reading is Fundamental

When I decided to do an M.Litt, I was aware that there would be a lot of reading. I went into with my eyes open. I have no one to blame but myself. But when it gets to the point that even pulling up BBC News and cringing because, ugh, you have to read to get the news...

My friend tonight is St. Augustine. Good old City of God. All 1,200 pages of him. And maybe the Confessions if I have time, since I... sort of enjoy the Confessions. At least I've read some from him before, unlike me showing my ignorance before with the collected works of Plato, Aristotle, Thucydides, Cicero, and Seneca. Perhaps if I'd done my undergrad in Philosophy, however they were not popular additions to Political Studies or Religion, so I was touch SOL. But it's all good -- we have St. Augustine now. And Aquinas after that.

I never thought I'd be so happy to read Aquinas again. Even typing out that sentence seems slightly wrong.

And while it would be nice to call it a night, I think getting a little further in Augustine is a good idea. Grad school is exciting, can't you tell?



No comments:

Post a Comment